Today, Andy breaks down 10 questions intended to help you build better relationships. These can be applied to a wide variety of relationships, such as those with co-founders, executive team members, spouses, friends, and even your children.
These 10 questions will help you stay present with someone and help you foster depth, awareness, & growth as a person.
- How can I be in this with you? (versus what do you need?)
- Could you summarize what you’re saying into one sentence? (or into 1 word)
- Based on what you just shared, what do you most want me to know about you?
- I really want to hear you, but I’m having a hard time understanding. Can you say that again in a different way? (another type of question is: “if you were to use a different word, what would you say?”
- Can you tell me more?
- What’s the hardest part about that? What’s the best part about that?
- If you were to step back, what are you noticing in yourself as you say that?
- When you think about that, does it light you up or drain you? (behavior, relationship, thought)
- If that emotion had a voice, what would it say?
- Can I share with you what I am noticing?
The best gift you can give someone is being fully present with them. We’d encourage you to re-listen to this episode, write down 2-3 of the questions that connected with you the most, and start practicing them in your relationships today.